The ME$A program is an initiative of RLEP. From its beginning in 2008 and with initial membership consisting of fewer than a dozen people, ME$A has already learned and accomplished a lot!
ME$A's goal is to help others find sources of valuable information for conserving resources and protecting the environment for future generations and to create financial savings for and minimize the carbon footprint of the citizens and government of Rappahannock County.
ME$A's short-term accomplishments already include
- A resource information base for energy saving information and materials that are generally available at little or no cost to the consumer.
- A list of 135 Ways To Reduce Finite Energy Use in the Mid-Atlantic, a two-page document designed to be downloaded, printed out, and shared.
- A database of local suppliers for alternative energy products and installation services.
- An enthusiastic agreement from the Rappahannock Farmers Co-op to carry items that are proven energy and cost-saving devices.
- Planning and running the 4th annual Piedmont Alternative Energy & Electric Vehicle Expo in 2009.
Other goals include
- Educational programs for youth and adults relating to energy consumption and the potential for ecological as well as monetary savings.
- Energy audits of Rappahannock County government offices to establish the potential for taxpayer savings.
- Creation of a database of landowners of Rappahannock currently using energy-saving and alternative energy systems, devices, and vehicles.
- Publishing a "Green Corner" information column in the Rappahannock News.
- Achieving a county-wide recycling rate of 50 percent.
- Within 10 years, establishing Rappahannock County as the greenest per capita county in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Obtaining grants from companies and other sources for solar or other alternative heating and cooling facilities for the Rappahannock County schools, library, and government buildings as a result of being the "Greenest County in Virginia" and thereby reducing taxpayer expenses and minimizing the carbon footprint of this beautiful county.